Severe... Or Severe mercy?





Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me - to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Here's to the weak
The imperfect
The one with issues and struggles
The one who feels as if they can't get anywhere. 
The one who assumes change is just some false inspiration people talk about. 
You have tried countless times... But you always seem to fall. 
It never fails. 
It never changes.


     Its been noticed by you and many others that you hit monumental highs and record lows on a daily basis. As soon as you think you've got it... You've changed... You've arrived...You've got it all under control... Its in that moment that a thick array of dark and gloomy clouds comes once more. And just like that, you are right back to where you started. With each fall you lose more and more hope. You feel more and more ashamed. People said you needed Jesus, so you got Him, yet the torment continued. So now you start to doubt if this Christian walk thing is really meant for you.



  People try to fix you. Call it depression. Say you need to go on medication. See a psychiatrist. Tell him all your deep, dark problems... Only for him to label you as sick and then try to tape up and cover the real issue. So you believe him. You take on the label. Your depressed and you've just got a messed up mind. No one can help you... Not even God. I mean... It's caused by whacked out chemicals. Others say its a sin issue. Got some stuff you need to deal with. Surrender it to the Lord. Your not relying on Him enough. So pray some more and read your Bible... That should take care of the problem. So when the darkness creeps in, you  read your Bible and scream out some prayers... Sometimes the light comes... Other times it doesn't. You wonder, "Why do I keep on trying?" You just want it to change. So you keep on praying.


So here's to the desperate.
Here's to the pleading.
The one who cries out almost night and day for an answer or a change.
You question whether or not He hears you.
You wonder if it was something you said or did.
You wonder if He cares.
Or if He is even there.


You hear that His plans are good. But what you see around you is nothing but a broken world that has been shattered and stepped on over and over again... leaving nothing but dust. Your faith shakes. Your trust starts slipping. And you are so angry at, what you believe to be, false words of hope and reassurance that it's all for good. You want to scream. Sometimes your mask slips, and you do. It all seems like a lie. You don't know what to believe. And just like that... you begin to fall.


What about that friend you asked God to heal that passed away only weeks after being labeled healthy again? You hold her mother in your arms as she weeps for her child. Where is God's mercy? What about that baby you asked the Lord to keep, yet he never got to see the light of day? As you hear the parents pain, you believe there is no way God can hear. What about your relatives salvation you pleaded for... yet their heart remains hard? As you see them refuse it over and over... you know God can shine light... yet its as if it remains hidden. Where is His love? All these questions. All this doubting. And before you know it, bitterness and anger is all that's inside you.

It seems so unfair. So unjust. So severe. How could a loving God... one who apparently works out all things for good... let all these things happen? This can't be right. Where is His mercy? Where is His grace? 

What if I said it was in the midst of all your pain? Among the tears and the broken glass that is all you can see? What if I said these unanswered prayers and constant struggles are just what we will call, severe mercy? Could it be that God sees and knows more than you? Like, maybe He has a better idea of what is best? Maybe His love isn't distant, just displayed differently than what we would expect?


Consider this with me...
His Son...
Did He not love Him?


"The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand."
John 3:35


Yet did He not then give Him up to the most horrific death?
Allowing the biggest injustice ever known to man?
A sinless man... bearing the weight, punishment, and death for a bunch of sinners?
How could He allow this?
Did He not hear His Son plea for this weight to be lifted from Him?
Did He not hear?
Did He not care?
Why would He do that?

Could it be He could see beyond our eyesight?
Like maybe He knew what needed to be done?
Perhaps He knew that the sacrifices we offered weren't enough.

"For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins."
(Hebrews 10:4)

Maybe He knew that a perfect sacrifice was needed.
He knew there was no other way.
As much pain as it caused Him to see His Son plead... only to have to turn away.
As crazy as it sounds.
As harsh and as unfair as it seems.
He did it because He loves YOU.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."
(John 3:16)


So maybe in the moment, His plan made no sense. Maybe it seemed as if God didn't care because it seemed as if He wasn't acting. From what eyes could see, it seemed as if the ultimate bad was happening and our awesome God had decided to stop caring. But in fact, He was up to the greatest act of mercy and love in all of history! So please don't give up. Please don't throw your fist up at God and say that you have had enough of Him... and walk away. It's tempting. The flesh is weak. And we so desperately try to walk by sight instead of by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7). But I challenge you to consider that He knows what’s best. Consider that His love comes in all shades of colors... that are far more magnificent then any our eyes can see or our minds imagine.

I know it's hard.
You are not alone in your struggles and emotions.
I am right there with you.


I am the weak
I am the imperfect.
I am the desperate and the pleading.
I have been labeled as that depressed girl and have seen that psychiatrist. 
I have doubted salvation and the God who gives it. 
I have tried finding fixes and have, therefore, started many bad habits. 
I have cried out so many times for it to end. 
For an everlasting relief to come, here and now... Not one day in heaven.
I have lost that friend.
Seen that loved one suffer.
Even lifted my fist to the face of the Holy God saying, "What on earth are You doing?"


And these continuous struggles, thorns in my flesh... these unanswered prayers, distresses and difficulties... have caused many tears, left scars, and robbed me of rest and peace. But one thing they also do: Leave me desperate.

"The sun, it does not cause us to grow. It is the rain that will strengthen, it is the rain that will strengthen your soul. It will make you whole."
I Have Made Mistakes by The Oh Hello's

Have you ever noticed that when it's sunny outside, life seems finally peaceful and put together... you may begin to believe you have finally arrived? You think you have finally figured it out. But then, all of a sudden, out of no where... that thorn in your flesh pokes once more or that prayer seems to bounce back off the ceiling and you are brought, once more, to your knees. But maybe that desperation, clear understanding of your weakness, and humble reliance on God is where God's strength and power are more plainly displayed and seen. So could what seems to be severe judgment or punishment, actually be God's severe mercy?

     There's a song I recently heard by Elenowen called "Cripple Me." Here are some lyrics that the Lord really used to bring this whole thing together...

              "Please, please, please, please cripple me... So that I cannot keep running away from You."
  
This weakness...
This struggle...
This distress...
Keeps me from running too far. 
When I wander off...
When I believe I have figured it out...
It brings me right back.
On my knees before God.
And what better place to be?

     During a recent conversation with a friend of mine about just being exhausted and tired of constantly struggling with the same thing for so long and longing for God to answer pleadful prayers... She reminded me that this just might be the thing God forever uses in my life to humble me. At first, I kinda wanted to throw a tantrum and yell out like a three year old, "no, no, NO!!" but now I see the beauty in it. It doesn't have to be something that throws me down in a depression pit and causes me to curse God, like Satan desires. I can choose to see it for the severe mercy it is. And I hope I choose to do so in the days and years to come.

     So to the weak and imperfect... His grace is sufficient. You may wish and plead with God to take away whatever may be tormenting you, just like Paul. But do not fear, fret, or doubt when relief doesn't come. Praise the Lord that through your weakness... His strength can be more clearly seen. And to the desperate and pleading... His grace is also sufficient. You may beg God to answer your prayers and act in such a way that displays His loving character... But don't forget He displays His love in different ways. Keep crying out. Keep calling on His name. And praise the Lord that He is keeping you desperate for Him. And then in all cases, let your soul cry out with Paul, "Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." knowing and holding on to this promise from our Heavenly Father who is ever faithful... "My grace is sufficient for you."

Lord, please leave this thorn in my flesh if it is the only way to keep me running back to You. Cripple me! And forgive me when I think I know better... when I question Your plans and what You are doing in my life. Keep me seeking after You. For I know... Through these struggles and temptations... Your grace is sufficient for me. So I am well content with these thorns in my flesh and with these difficulties, I will even boast about them, so that Your power may dwell evidently within me. 
Just keep sending down Your loving and severe mercy.
 Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts